Call for Submissions
We are looking for unique, funny, amazing, and unforgettable true stories of how people got together. Did you get weeks of sweet notes in your mailbox until you noticed the cute, but shy mail carrier delivering them? Did your dogs seem to conspire to get you together? Maybe your grandfather leapt off a moving train when he saw a beautiful woman. We want them all! How I Met My Other will be an annual anthology series with the first volume released February 1, 2019. The submission window will be open from January 1, 2018 - May 31, 2018.
- 3,000 - 5,000 words
- Piece must be previously unpublished
- Written as a narrative (We don't want to be told about what happened, we want to be shown--see what the person is seeing, feel what the person is feeling...)
- A true story or based on a true story.
- May be written in the first or third person and can be your own story or someone else in your family's.
- Creative license may be taken so the submission reads as a narrative, but it must be as close to actual events as possible. For example, if someone is writing the story of their grandparents, it might not be possible to know the exact dialogue or clothing they wore, etc.
- Do not need to be about relationships that resulted in marriage but must focus on the happy beginnings. Keep any negative outcomes out of the story.
- Names may be changed for privacy purposes. Please indicate in your submission that names have been changed.
- Should primarily focus on the beginning of the romantic relationship, not on engagements. An engagement portion can be included epilogue-style if it is related to the initial meeting of the couple. (Met while mountain climbing and proposal happened on the same mountain later, for example)
- No erotica or explicit sex scenes.
- Submissions must be 12 point font, Times New Roman, one inch margins, no manual tab or hard returns. Author information to be included on the top left: author name, email address, phone number, word count. Pen names can be included in the by-line. Email submissions as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Authors will be notified if their story has been chosen for publication by July 31, 2018.
- There is no payment for contributions at this time but authors whose stories are selected will receive a free contributor copy and access to print copies at a discounted price for resale.
- All stories are welcome. We encourage LGBTQIA to submit.
- The first volume will be open to any type of story. Subsequent volumes will have a theme each year. Please check our website for theme updates.
- Orange Blossom Publishing will have exclusive rights for six months from the date of publication. Rights revert back to the author upon expiration of that period. Orange Blossom Publishing will maintain the rights to publish the story in the anthology as well as use excerpts for promotional purposes.
- How I Met My Other has a social media presence on Facebook and Instagram. We are accepting photos and a few interesting lines of how the couple met to post on the accounts for promotional purposes. Couples featured on social media do not need to submit a story for the book. Please visit our Facebook page for more information and how to submit. www.facebook.com/metmyother
- Questions? Email email@example.com
*Read a blog post further detailing what we want with submissions here.